
132 this morning. I have been thinking a lot about routines and habits and how those are the foundations of excellence. Some years ago my sister told me about flylady.com. I have been going to her blog and reading posts made by the many women that follow her.
She bases her philosophy on routines and 15 minute pushes. I have many routines that I now use to structure my life - and I do alright. But when I fall I can undo in one weekend, what I have spent a week achieving.
With the debate with Scott, my brother-in-law, I noticed that it is not just what I want to do, but what I need to avoid or stop that is equally important. I am not reading the news this week. I am a news junkie, a political nut cake and an avid reader of many, many newspapers. While I am in the know - no one really cares and it certainly does not have anything to do with my goals. So I decided to go one week without news.
You need to know that I tired this before. I lasted two days. Shaking, almost unable to walk, in deep withdrawal, I crawled to my computer and gorged on news. I read some stories twice just to calm down. I did not know or care what to do with all the time I had gained.
Well, this week I have now gone five days and I have been firm with my mealy mouth newspaper reading, time wasting self. If I have been started to experience withdrawal I have read about Zen Meditation or the flylady.com website. And it makes a difference.
I feel more focused, more stable. I am reading less and accomplishing more. One last thing.
Last night John went out with a friend. I was delighted to have the house to myself and decided to skip my night routine and watch West Wing. I loved it, but this morning I was behind because I skipped my night routine.
My night routine is not terrible\y time consuming and it makes a big difference in the morning. So my lessons are - don't waste your time doing stuff that does not take you to your goals and do your routine and veg out.
She bases her philosophy on routines and 15 minute pushes. I have many routines that I now use to structure my life - and I do alright. But when I fall I can undo in one weekend, what I have spent a week achieving.
With the debate with Scott, my brother-in-law, I noticed that it is not just what I want to do, but what I need to avoid or stop that is equally important. I am not reading the news this week. I am a news junkie, a political nut cake and an avid reader of many, many newspapers. While I am in the know - no one really cares and it certainly does not have anything to do with my goals. So I decided to go one week without news.
You need to know that I tired this before. I lasted two days. Shaking, almost unable to walk, in deep withdrawal, I crawled to my computer and gorged on news. I read some stories twice just to calm down. I did not know or care what to do with all the time I had gained.
Well, this week I have now gone five days and I have been firm with my mealy mouth newspaper reading, time wasting self. If I have been started to experience withdrawal I have read about Zen Meditation or the flylady.com website. And it makes a difference.
I feel more focused, more stable. I am reading less and accomplishing more. One last thing.
Last night John went out with a friend. I was delighted to have the house to myself and decided to skip my night routine and watch West Wing. I loved it, but this morning I was behind because I skipped my night routine.
My night routine is not terrible\y time consuming and it makes a big difference in the morning. So my lessons are - don't waste your time doing stuff that does not take you to your goals and do your routine and veg out.
No comments:
Post a Comment