Saturday, August 15, 2009

Daily Habits - What I Am Learning


Several years ago I read a book about people that don't work (officially) but accomplish amazing things. Apparently the secret was daily habits.

These people would go to bed and wake up day after day at the same time and have daily routines and rituals that resulted in an ability to accomplish their goals.

Last year I set up daily routines. I added weekly and monthly reviews. Sometimes I do well and sometimes my routines go by the wayside. The good thing about having them on my calendar is that eventually I return to my routines.

I find I accomplish a lot, but not close to what I could accomplish if my routines were adhere to like teeth brushing or bathing (which I do most of the time).

What I find interesting for me is what gets me off track. Here are some of the things that get in the way consistently:

Going out with friends and eating too much, staying up too late, and sleeping in the next morning. Also, when I sleep in my day seems shot so I experience reduced motivation for getting on track.

Getting sick.

A bad nights sleep.

Travelling.

Just not feeling like it.

Thinking tomorrow is a better day to get back on track.

I was reading about Ann Wintour (who is not my ideal woman at all - but I am impressed with her singular focus and discipline). She goes to bed every night at the same time. Gets up every morning at the same time.

This is my goal for this week. Starting tonight. My bed time in 10:00 (or earlier) and I will get up at five. Naps are allowed.

I will let you know how I do and how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment