I was reading my holiday post and it has a definite scold overtone. That is a weakness of mine in my writing. I have to make a point that I have a profound insight that will make your life better - even if I have to hit you right between the eyes for you to listen.
I think my scolding is mostly intended for me. I think that is how I grew up - being scolded into good behavior. Skinner believes that we are reward/punishment creatures. Reward a behavior - it perpetuates. Punish a behavior and it proliferates. Consciously and deliberately combine the two and humans are as malleable as clay. Clay that never turns hard.
Most behavioralist are now chastened by the reality of hard core, hard wired behaviors that tend to suggest we are more precast than easily shaped clay.
So here I am trying to mold my own behaviors. And I do it through chastening myself into changing. There is one problem - it does not really work - but it is not intuitive to trust in myself.
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment